If you have a complaint

How to notify us if you have a complaint

Have we made a mistake? Do you have concerns about our service or your policy? Please tell us so that we can try to make things right.

The following suggestions may help you to get to the right person to respond to your concerns. Please start at Step 1, where we hope we can satisfy you:

Step 1: Contact a Customer Service representative

Contact our Customer Service Department. Our Customer Service representatives are trained to discuss any concerns you may have. They can answer your questions and try to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. Depending on what your concern is, they may refer you to someone else in our organization who is better equipped to respond to you. You can reach our Customer Service Department by:

Step 2: Contact our management team

If a Customer Service representative is unable to resolve your complaint or address your concerns satisfactorily, please contact our Chief Compliance Officer. You can reach him by:

Step 3: Contact the insurance company that is named on your contract

You may wish to contact the insurance company directly. You will find the insurer’s contact information on your policy. Or we would be happy to provide you with contact information for the insurer.

Step 4: Contact the OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance

The OmbudService is a national independent, free-of-charge complaint resolution and information service for consumers of Canadian life and health insurance products and services. You can reach them by:

  • calling 1-888-295-8112 (In Quebec, please call 1-866-582-2088),
  • emailing them through their website at www.olhi.ca, or
  • writing:
    Ombud Service for Life & Health Insurance
    401 Bay Street. PO Box 7
    Toronto, ON
    M5H 2Y4
    Attention: General Manager
    Ombudsman des assurances de personnes
    2001, rue University
    17e étage
    Montreal, PQ
    H3A 2A6
    À l’attention: Directrice générale

Note that you can also choose to contact your provincial regulator. For example, if you live in Quebec, you may submit a formal complaint to the Autorité des marchés financiers. You may also contact the Autorité to seek guidance in preparing a written complaint and you may require that your formal complaint be referred to the Autorité at any time during the complaint resolution process. Formal complaints to the Autorité must be submitted in writing.